Billy's Famed Muff Fuzz Tone in a Compact Pedal
Billy Corgan and James Iha (Smashing Pumpkins) built an empire on Siamese Dream's distinct brand of psychedelia-meets-rock-alternative. A key ingredient to this record's iconic sound, as guitarists today know, is Billy's famed late-'70s V4 IC Big Muff. Now, Corgan and EHX have carefully bottled the tone and response of the original in the Electro-Harmonix Op-Amp Big Muff Pi. This pedal faithfully captures the fuzz-laden and explosive textures of Billy's op-amp equipped '70s Muff. Controls for Volume, Tone, and Sustain (gain) make it quick to dial in the textures your music demands. Meanwhile, a tone bypass toggle temporarily bypasses the pedal's tone circuit for maximum output and aggression. The new compact size and die-cast durability preserve the Siamese Dream tone for a new generation of fuzz fans.
Based on the late-'70s op-amp Muff
Earlier transistor-loaded Muffs are regarded for their smoother bite and more controlled sustain. Yet a key ingredient in Corgan's Siamese Dream tone was the op-amp-loaded, late-'70s Big Muff Pi. The EHX Op-Amp Muff captures the grit and gain of Corgan's classic in a compact new pedalboard-friendly footprint.
Plenty of sweet spots in these pots
Corgan's Siamese Dream tone was rarely a single full-range performance, but more commonly, the stacking of 5, 10, or 20 guitar parts at varying stages of gain and contour. The EHX Op-Amp Big Muff Pi affords limitless options for tone stacking, from hot snarling leads to plaintive, lingering pedal-point drones. A feature that Sweetwater reviewers particularly enjoyed was the tone bypass switch, which temporarily bypasses your settings for bursts of raw power.
Electro-Harmonix Op-Amp Big Muff Pi Fuzz Pedal Features:
- Captures Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins)'s iconic fuzz sound
- Based on the late-'70s op-amp equipped V4 IC Big Muff Pi
- Easier-traveling compact size
- Durable die-cast construction
- True bypass switching preserves tone between uses
- Independent Volume, Tone, and Sustain (gain) controls
- Tone bypass switch temporarily toggles the tone circuit for added power
- Powered by a 9-volt battery (included) or standard 9-volt adapter (sold separately)